Telegram:maintex

#1 Old 08-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Cartographer

Cartographer is on a distinguished road
Default How to get started!

======================
ID Equipment BASIC
======================

1.) Epson Stylus C8X Printer ($20.00 - $40.00 on ebay)
2.) Heat Laminator ($20.00 - $40.00 on ebay)
3.) X-Acto knife ($5.00 at craft or art supply store)
4.) Metal 12" Ruler ($2.00 at craft or art supply store)

======================
ID Equipment OPTIONAL
======================

1.) Credit Card Size Die Cutter ($390.37)
2.) Banner American PL4A Laminator ($249.99)
3.) MSR-206 Magnetic Strip Encoder/Reader ($400 on ebay) Now I put this here in optional because most people can not afford this from the start. If you are serious about IDs you will want this to be one of your basic items. NOTE: Be sure you get a MSR-206 and not the MSR-206W. The MSR-206W is alot cheaper but it only does track 1 & 2 you will need to be able to write all 3 tracks when dealing with most IDs.
4.) Color Laser Printer that supports at least 600 DPI ($520.00 on ebay) As far as laser printers go they are nice but they require alot more work when it comes to color matching your template and toners cost alot more than the inks for the Epson C8X. If you have the Time, money and patience I would say get a laser and play around with it, but if you don't want to waste the money and the hours of work color matching just stay with the Epson C8X series it does a really nice job.
5.) HP Photosmart 1100 printer ($40.00 on ebay) This Printer will be used as 1 Method to producing the UV Layer on the IDs. You can also use any other HP Printer that uses the 51645A Cartridge as its black ink.

======================
ID Supplies BASIC
======================

1.) Laser Teslin ($0.79 - $1.20 per sheet) Now you are going to be using alot of this stuff but you have decide how much of what type you need. I say this because most IDs use the 10 Mil but if you are trying to emulate a PVC ID then you will want to be using the 14 Mil to give it that extra bit of stiffness that a PVC card has.
2.) Butterfly Pouches ($0.30 - $0.75 each) Now here is an item that is going to drive you crazy. So many different pouches what to choose? Well this depends on the ID you plan on making. TX, CA & MA you would want to use TXP. Now if you are trying to make VA (a PVC type ID) you are going to want to use KRTY for the same reason you would want to use the 14 mil teslin it gives it a more stiff PVC feel. Then there is NY this ID is a bitch but most people that are making these should use soft crystal laminate and I have only been able to find this in sheets.

======================
ID Supplies OPTIONAL
======================

1.) Invisible UV Ink Cartridges ($40.00 - $80.00) This like many other items depends on what ID you are working with. For example if you are making the 2004 MA ID you would want to go with a High concentrate Yellow/Green Ink, If you are doing the 04 CA you are going to want to use Green, Red and Low concentrate Yellow ink. If you choose to use the Ink method for your IDs I will warn you the ink does fade alot faster than the powders.
2.) High Grit Sand Paper ($0.40 each) You can use this to scuff up the ID and make it look a little less BRAND NEW. It is also good for touching up the corners of the ID if you dont have a die cutter.

======================
HOLO Supplies BASIC
======================

1.) ALPS Microdry printer ($200.00 - $500.00 on ebay) Now you are going to want to get an Alps MD-1000 or MD-1300. You can also go with the MD-5000 but you have to be sure you have the dyesub pack with it or it will be useless.
2.) Alps Finish Cartridges ($5.00 - $15.00 depending where you find them)
3.) Butterfly Pouches ($0.30 - $0.75 each) Now here is an item that is going to drive you crazy. So many different pouches what to choose? Well this depends on the ID you plan on making. TX, CA & MA you would want to use TXP. Now if you are trying to make VA (a PVC type ID) you are going to want to use KRTY it gives you a more stiff PVC feel.
4.) Pearl Ex Powders ($3.00) Now this stuff here is going to drive you crazy when you are making Holos. You are going to need to know exactly what IDs you plan on doing before you start making this purchase. I have a collection of mixtures for specific IDs some collected from others some from trial and error but I will say this for the most part you will be using multiple powders per ID. For Example my TX mixtures is 50% Interference Gold / 40% Sparkle Gold / 10% Invisible Green UV Fluorescent Powder. So you can see there are 3 different powders 2 pearl ex and 1 Invisible UV Fluorescent Powder (I will cover this in the OPTIONAL Section).

======================
HOLO Supplies OPTIONAL
======================

1.) Invisible UV Fluorescent Powder ($2.00 - $5.00 depending on colors) These powders are used for making the UV Layers of IDs via the ALPS Method. This like many other items depends on what ID you are working with. For example if you are making the 2004 MA ID you would want to go with an Invisible Green powder, If you are doing the 04 CA you are going to want to use an Invisible Green Pigment, Invisible Red Pigment and Invisible Yellow Pigment.

======================
Software BASICS
======================

1.) Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or better (This is a must have you will be doing most of you work in this program so take some time to get used to it.)
2.) Barcode Magic (This is what I use to make 1D barcodes)
3.) PDF Center (This is what I use for making the 2D Barcodes)

======================
Software OPTIONAL
======================

1.) TheJERM MSR206 software. (This is a really good prog for writing the DL tracks to your ID. It is only listed as Optional for the same reason as the MSR206 itself. If you are serious about doing the IDs then you will want this for sure!)
2.) Axtel Barcode Recognition Software (I use this to decode my 2D Barcode to make sure they work. I also use this to Decode the Original 2D Barcode so I have the proper strings to use in PDF Center)

======================
Product Links
======================

hxxp://www.brainstormidsupply.com (PL4A Laminator and most everything else)
hxxp://www.holosupplies.com/ (CC Size Die Cutter and most everything else)
hxxp://practicingperfection.7p.com (UV/Pearl EX and most everything else)
Cartographer is offline   Reply With Quote